Monday 30 September 2013

Can't Get Enough of Rhino Iguanas!

I had one of the best days ever at my local reptile shop in Belfast. I'm sure a lot of people would think that's crazy but some of my happiest memories are of being around reptiles and other herpetologists. I have talked about my experiences regarding these wonderful cold blooded creatures in many of my posts and how I feel lucky to have interacted with them, but today tops it. 

A year ago my favourite reptile shop, Reptile NI, closed down and I was deeply saddened as I fell in love with one of their animals, in fact their mascot: a rhino iguana. I always wanted to see him every time I was in the shop as I found him adorable. Sadly I was too shy and scared to interact with him due to his size and my lack of reptile experience. When the shop closed I was deeply saddened as I got two wonderful corn snakes from them and loved going in to speak to the staff, and of course to see the rhino iguana. 

A few months ago Reptile Hunter opened and Saddam, the wonderful rhino iguana, was back in the new shop and I was so happy to see him again. After having more experience with reptiles and getting to know the shop owner, today I was able to have the rare opportunity to hold such a magnificent creature. What can I say, other than I feel lucky and hope one day to be able to keep such a beautiful and impressive animal. After a year of admiring him and being a little scared to hold him, I finally did it. 

If you are ever in Belfast, I recommend that you call into Reptile Hunters. The staff are lovely and animals will leave a major impression! Visit Reptile Hunters Facebook.

Myself and Saddam!
                                                                                    
My partner and I with Saddam


Now that's what I call a lizard!



Have a look at this video of the same iguana as shown above! 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment.